For those of you who don’t know, I’m a huge fan of bum marketing – the art of making money online using completely free resources – and I’ve successfully used these techniques on TheAtHomeCouple.com and every other blog that I own and operate. One of my favorite methods of free traffic generation and link building is article marketing because not only is it possible to write 20 articles in 20 days, like WAHM Tara’s latest challenge, it’s also amazing for developing your writing speed and research skills.
Over my 8 months of trial and error with utilizing free resources online, I’ve definitely learned a thing or two about what’s absolutely needed to be a successful bum marketer so I figured I would share some of my best tips with all you sexy people.
- A good house coat or robe is essential to your productivity. Make sure it has at least two pockets for storing vital tools like the remote control and extreme cheddar flavored Gold Fish.
- Always have Google open in a browser window off to the side. One of the key factors to successfully finding free resources online is your ability to research and grab those hidden gems such as free plug ins and cute little tools like SocialMarker.
- I always make sure I have my Spaceballs dvd ready to be played at a moments notice – taking your mind off work for 15 minutes will do wonders whenever you become overwhelmed or hit a road block.
- Having your peers available for brainstorming or questions always helps. Keep 3-5 buddies on your Skype contacts list that you go to if you want a second opinion.
- The ability to go several days without showering or shaving will really get you into the “bum” mode. If you can grow a beard like me, or not shave your legs for a week or two, you’ll be on your way to bum marketing super stardom in no time!
- You can’t expect to build your arsenal of free resources on an empty stomach. Being able to make a grilled cheese sandwich with one hand while submitting articles with the other is the sign of a true marketing master.
- Practice getting things for free like pizza and beer when you’re out with your friends. They’ll eventually assume you’re always broke and start to give you free shit without you having to ask.
- Make a folder in your Firefox bookmarks to store all your hardcore bum marketing tools and sites. This will help you develop a system when you’re launching a new site or product.
- Purchase a handful of “generic” domain names to use for redirecting to related affiliate products from the author/resource box of your articles. If you find a hot offer, the last thing you want to do is build a site just to test it out – write a kick ass article and load up the redirect straight to the affiliate product.