When I announced to the world (the 150 of you that come by everyday whom we adore) that I challenged myself, while waiting in line at the grocery store, to generate the equivalent of that shopping bill in affiliate commissions by the end of the week, I thought I had it all figured out. Little did I know…
Though my original plan was well thought out, and in theory would begin to generate affiliate income, I quickly realized that 1 week is not enough time to implement the particular bum marketing techniques I was planning to use – so I had to change my plan and roll with the punches.
As I began to gather up my Lemmings and inform them of the labor shift , I noticed a common theme recently amongst my peers and partners in the Blogosphere – Site Flipping! After reading some awesome challenges and making a phone call to one of my Bloggerhood Ninjas, I concluded that site flipping is probably the most efficient way to make a quick buck with little to no financial investment – which would enable it to fall into my Bum Marketing Madness theme perfectly!
So over the last few days I have managed to do the following:
- Find a niche and key phrases that have a high KEI rating using Wordtracker
- Purchased a domain name that contains one of my selected key phrases
- Researched affiliate networks and found 3 niche related products to promote
- Selected a theme that will provide functional as well as aesthetic elements to my WordPress 2.6.2 back end.
- Designed a custom logo to replace the stock header, and a few custom banners for Clickbank products using Adobe Fireworks CS3
- Compiled a folder of images for the posts.
- Researched and wrote 10 posts, all spread out and post-dated between Tuesday and Friday.
- Submitted the site and posts to Digg, Stumble Upon, and bookmarked it in Technorati, delicious and furl.
- Fully integrated Google Adsense and my selected Clickbank products into the theme and content.
- Created a Squidoo lens using the same keywords and images from some of my posts, with completely rewritten content.
What’s left to do?
Today I’m hopefully going to complete 3 possible tasks to increase the value of my site flip once it hits the Sitepoint.com marketplace. The first thing I’m going to do after completing this post is write an article based on my primary key phrase and submit it to 5 or 6 of the high ranking article directories – with the domain name linked in the resource box of course! This will get one way links pointing towards the site and increase it’s value and positioning for my main key phrase – currently I have my Digg submit in the number 3 position as of last night, and I’m almost positive by the end of day tomorrow that my Squidoo lens and Ezine article submission will take the remaining top spots.
My second task is going to be creating a profile on Myspace and a few other social and blogging networks, and adding some friends and posts to these pages that point back to the site – again for one way links, but to also give the site some social value which is important with Web 2.0 style blogs. Lastly if all is well I’d like to submit the blog to some of the better known blog directories and maybe do some more commenting on niche related sites and forums.
My plan is to have the sales copy written and the auction up on Sitepoint.com by early evening Friday. If all goes well I will sell the site by Sunday for at least $100, which I don’t see being a problem, and accomplish my goal of making back the grocery money we had to put on Veronica’s credit card because we’re broke. This was my challenge to myself, and I am going to complete it while teaching myself how to flip websites for profit and spending nothing but time to do so.
See you guys at the finish line.