Most men know, whether young or old, that one of the most important elements to a healthy relationship is happiness. I’m a firm believer in the saying “behind every king is his queen” and as long as your queen is happy, you will thrive and your kingdom will flourish. Being raised predominantly by women I’ve grown to build a sense of security knowing that the women in my life are taken care of. We all know that if your wife or girlfriend is unhappy things can be hellish, so take some time out each day and make sure she knows how special she truly is.
For the last 4 years Veronica and I have faced some serious hurdles, and since moving in together a whole new set of obstacles have threatened our relationship at one time or another. What amazes me is that after all this time (which isn’t much compared to some) we are happier than ever, and continue to build our status towards being the ultimate power couple. If you haven’t the faintest idea of what I’m saying, and believe that the way to keep your woman happy is making sure she always has a sink full of dishes to come home to, please read the following points carefully. 🙂
- Women love surprises – This does not mean you should scrape ends to buy her a new purse or the latest $160 LuLuLemon hoodie twice a month, but simply keep your eyes and ears open when you’re out together as she will constantly give little hints to what she wants, or needs. Coming home after work with a little surprise every now and then really helps to keep the smiles abundant.
- Cook for her – If you’re incapable of a simple stir-fry or ricotta-stuffed manicotti, you better get learning! They say the way to a man’s heart is his stomach, well I believe that the way to a woman’s smile is Mexican food or any chocolate based dessert. If you cook for your woman on a regular basis she will boast and brag about you to all her girlfriends at the office, and your reputation will become impenetrable.
- Do more than apologize – The last thing any women of character wants to hear is the you were right, I was wrong line. Let her know why you were wrong, and what you will do in the future to prevent the same occurrence from happening. She wants to feel secure knowing that you actually took the time to think about your actions and will make an effort to change for the better. If you’re apologizing for sleeping with the nanny you have an entirely different problem.
- Get to know her friends – It took me a while to realize the importance of becoming acquainted with Veronica’s friends, but I’m glad that I did – some of them are now good friends of mine as well. Before I came galloping along on my white horse, reeking of scotch and cotton candy, her friends were the people who kept her happy. Spending time with her friends truly opened my eyes to a whole different side of her which I loved, and in turn making me want to spend time more time with them – killing two birds with one stone.
- You can never give too many hugs and kisses – I know it sounds kind of corny, or obvious, but it’s true. When life sinks its fangs into your timetable it can be difficult to find the quality time to accomplish any of the points I listed above. In the extreme situation, not having the time or energy to be intimate can also put a serious damper on the happiness meter – this is where hugs and kisses are important. After being with someone for any substantial amount of time, people naturally become comfortable and take the small things for granted. This can turn a once beautiful partnership into a vile dance of bickering and frustration. Hugs and kisses on a regular basis – especially hugs – can really keep things somewhat balanced when the crap of life hits the fan, and you’ve run out of Mr. Clean Magic Wipes. :p
One of our goals before this year is over is to have both of us working online, and from home. If we are unable to keep each other happy, this goal will never be accomplished. Being a young couple in our late 20’s makes it that much more important to know what keeps us excited and laughing – for the many years to come.